It’s 2:35 a.m. and you hear the first little rustling and whines over the baby monitor. It’s feeding time and your little one is ready to eat. Panic grips you as you remember that you meant to prepare enough bottles for those overnight feedings, but you got distracted. By the time you’ve mixed the formula, warmed it, and are ready to feed the baby he’s worked himself into a full-on scream. Now you’re anxious, he’s mad, and you’re both a little bit of a mess. Sound familiar? I’ve been there too many times to count! Enter baby formula makers. With these wonderful machines, you can have a perfectly warmed and mixed bottle, ready and waiting when you hear those first little stirrings on the monitor. This scenario is much better, right? You’ve got a calm baby, a happy mama, and everyone can quickly and easily fall back to sleep after the feeding. What an awesome solution! It almost makes me want to have one more baby just to use one. Almost. We’re going to take a look at the features you’ll want in a formula maker and dive into what’s available on the market today.
Mom on the run? Here are the bullet points…
- #5 :
- #4 : Born Free Bottle Genius
- #3 : Balla Bébé M1 Auto Baby Milk Maker
- #2 : Gerber BabyNes Formula Dispenser
- #1 : Baby Brezza Formula Pro One Step Food Maker
**Below are our more detailed reviews. Click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
What Features do you Need in a Baby Formula Maker?
There are some features that you’ll want your formula maker to have. Here are the main factors to look at when you’re shopping.
Of course, the price will almost always come into play when you’re planning for baby. Somewhat surprisingly for such a small market, there’s about a $140 price difference between the least expensive and the most expensive machines. It’s always best to choose the best that your budget will allow, though, in this case, the most expensive machine isn’t our top pick. You’re welcome.
Versatility comes into play in a couple different ways when it comes to a baby formula maker. There are three main factors that make these machines versatile – or not!
Types of Formula
It’s most convenient to have a formula maker that allows you to use any brand of powdered formula. Babies’ needs change as they grow and sometimes changes need to be made to protect their delicate systems. A formula maker that isn’t compatible with various brands of formula may not be as useful to you.
Kinds of Bottles
Much like formula, sometimes you have to play around a bit with bottles to find one that baby likes the best. A formula maker that can adjust for different brands and sizes of bottles is a must.
Does the machine provide a way for you to easily take bottles on the road? Is that something that’s a deal-breaker if it doesn’t?
Ease of Maintenance
As with many products for babies, we want them to be easy to clean! You want your little darling to have the safest and most sterile products – especially when it comes to their feedings. Considering the frequency with which formula maker machines need to be cleaned, you’ll want to choose one that is easy to maintain. Is it simple to take apart to clean? Does it go back together without too much effort? Is the process time-consuming? These are the questions you should have in mind as you’re searching for the right baby formula maker!
Other Things to Consider With a Formula Maker
Formula makers are quite convenient, making formula fast and at the perfect temperature to keep your baby happy. There are a few things to remember when using them, though, to ensure your baby stays that way.
Most people will tell you that you need distilled water for your formula but this isn’t necessarily true. You can use tap water as long as it is clean and free of chemicals or bacteria that could harm your baby. Most towns or cities issue a boil water advisory if the water is contaminated in any way. You can also contact your local health department before adding the water to the formula maker to be sure.
If you’re still nervous about adding in tap water, you can always boil it before you use it. The water should be at a rolling boil for about a minute. Then allow it to cool to room temperature. This should be less than 30 minutes. Don’t leave it out for too long, though, or bacteria can begin to grow.
Those with well water also need to be extra careful, testing it regularly to be sure it is free of nitrates or lead. Boiling won’t get rid of these harmful compounds, so if any are present in your well water, switch to bottled or distilled water for your formula.
Some formula makers work with many different types of formula. Of course, you need to make sure the formula is good before you add it in. Check the expiration dates to ensure it is still safe for your baby to consume. Once a can of powdered formula has been opened, it needs to be used within a month. After this time limit, the nutrients in the formula may begin to degrade. Moisture in the container can also cause bacteria growth, so be sure to keep it tightly sealed to prevent this.
After you make the formula, be sure to use it within 2 hours, or it can spoil. Once the baby has begun to drink it, this time shortens to about an hour, due to the saliva that could mix into the formula. When the hour is up, throw the formula away and make a new bottle if the baby is still hungry.
You can also make some formula in advance, storing the prepared formula in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before you give it to the baby. Some bottles have spaces to write the time on when it is made, or you can add a piece of tape with the date and time on it to ensure it is safe for your baby.
As well as cleaning your formula maker, you need to make sure everything else is as clean as possible as well. Wash your hands before you handle the bottles, formula, and formula maker. Sterilize the bottles, nipples, and any utensils used to make the formula. Work on a clean counter as well, to make sure everything that touches it won’t be contaminated.
Best Baby Formula Makers on the Market in 2021
The Tommee Tippee formula maker only takes two minutes to deliver a fresh bottle that’s warmed to the perfect temperature. The filtering system removes impurities from the water and dispenses the right amount for the perfect consistency that has no lumps or powdery chunks. The Tommee Tippee gives off an initial burst of hot water to kill any bacteria in the formula. This is followed by the addition of cool water to make the formula body temperature, every time. This formula maker can be used with any brand of formula and a variety of different size bottles. Helpful for those middle of the night feedings, the Tommee Tippee can be preset before bed with the right amount of water and formula, so all you have to do is turn it on when baby wakes up. Watch this video to find out more.
- Liquid measurements are in ounces, which is compatible with all brands of bottles.
- Machine can adjust to fit different brands and sizes of bottles.
- Any brand of powdered formula can be used.
- Makes a fresh bottle in less than two minutes.
- Temperature is perfect every time.
- Filter makes sure water is pure and free of contaminants.
- “Hot shot” of water kills bacteria in formula and causes formula to dissolve more quickly and thoroughly.
- Of all the machines on our list, this is the most expensive.
- If the room temperature in your home is too warm, you’ll have to add ice cubes to the machine to obtain the correct temperature.
- The alert tones are loud.
- Item weight: 5.9 pounds
- Package dimensions: 13.4 x 11.3 x 9 inches
The Born Free formula maker allows you to make bottles for your baby in any size from 2 to 10 ounces with a simple dial. Your baby’s bottle can be dispensed warm or room temperature. It’s compatible with any formula or bottle brand and holds enough formula equivalent to 8 4-ounce bottles. The Born Free features a “SmartScale” that measures and weighs the formula and the water to provide a perfect mix for baby. Any part of the machine that touches anything that will come into contact with your baby is BPA-Free and has a built-in cleaning cycle that can give you peace of mind that your baby’s bottle is coming from a sanitary source.
- Easy to use dial makes it quick and simple to prepare the proper size bottle.
- Components are BPA-Free.
- SmartScale technology provides for the perfect mixture of formula and water each time.
- Formula can be dispensed warm or room temperature.
- Has a sanitizing cleaning cycle.
- Includes an adapter for different sizes and brands of bottles.
- Can be used with any brand of formula.
- Cost is comparable to similar products.
- If your environment is too humid, the machine may jam.
- Dispenses slowly.
- Sometimes formula comes out clumpy, requiring you to shake the bottle.
- Water dispenser doesn’t hold much water.
- Item weight: 5.9 pounds
- Package dimensions: 11 x 6.8 x 14.5 inches
This Balla Bébé formula maker has a slim design and is decorated with fun, baby-friendly images. The components are BPA-Free and the machine comes with a 90-day guarantee. It doesn’t have ordinary buttons but has a touch control panel. The machine’s parts are easily detachable making it convenient to thoroughly clean. The formula is heated and ready in just seconds, making it a great option for those groggy, middle of the night feedings. It will provide a clump-free formula that can be dispensed in any brand bottle or powdered formula. The formula can be dispensed in amounts of 30 ml to 200 ml.
- Prepares formula very quickly – in seconds.
- The price is reasonable in comparison and is the least expensive on our list.
- Detachable parts make cleaning simple.
- Slim design – takes up less room than a coffee maker.
- Measurements on the formula maker are in milliliters as opposed to ounces.
- The included instructions can be difficult to follow.
- Has to be cleaned more frequently than other comparable products in order to keep from getting plugged up.
- Item weight: 7.7 ounces
- Package dimensions: 15.4 x 12.8 x 8 inches
The Gerber BabyNes is different than the other items on our list so far. It works with hermetically sealed capsules of formula that are pre-measured for one bottle. It also has a 27-ounce removable water tank that is BPA-Free. Included with the BabyNes is an “on-the-go” capsule opener to prepare baby’s bottles while you’re out and about. One of the best features of this particular machine is that the formula is mixed right in the capsule and flows directly into the bottle which means you don’t have to go through an extensive cleaning routine. You are able to set the temperature where you want it to be for baby, plus it’s filtered before it mixes with the formula capsule. Baby’s bottle is ready is less than a minute. The BabyNes is wi-fi enabled and connects to your smartphone and allows you to do things like receive alerts for feeding time, automatically replenish your supply of formula capsules, and track baby’s feedings.
- The adjustable temperature lets you prepare formula just how baby likes it.
- You don’t have to take the machine apart for cleaning because the formula is mixed in the capsules.
- Machine comes with an on-the-go capsule opener for when you’re not at home for feeding time.
- Wi-Fi/Smartphone connection allows you to stay on top of all things feeding-related.
- Takes less than a minute for bottle to be ready.
- Formula and water are precisely measured for the perfect mix every time.
- Water tank holds 27 ounces and is BPA-Free.
- Any brand of bottles can be used.
- Price is comparable to similar products.
- Only compatible with Gerber BabyNes powder formula capsules.
- Don’t offer a non-GMO or organic option.
- Capsules are expensive.
- Item weight: 8 pounds
- Package dimensions: 15.3 x 14.8 x 10.8 inches
There’s a reason the Baby Brezza is number one on our list. It’s got all the right features and no hassle. You can store 700 grams of formula in the airtight formula powder container – enough for 20 8-ounce bottles – and the water tank holds 50 ounces of water. The water stays heated to a temperature that’s close to body temperature, which is thought to be the optimal temperature for baby. The water tank itself is easy to clean and fill due to its wide opening. The control panel is easy to understand and allows you to choose 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10-ounce bottles. The Baby Brezza has a mixing funnel that ensures the formula is mixed well and free of bubbles that can upset baby’s sensitive tummy. Those late-night feedings won’t be quite as bad when you can have a bottle ready in under 30 seconds!
- Can be used with any brand of formula.
- Compatible with any brand of bottle.
- Holds a generous amount of water that stays heated to the optimal temperature for baby.
- Airtight formula compartment holds a sufficient amount of formula.
- You can choose the size of bottle you want to make.
- Easy to clean.
- You don’t have to do any measuring or mixing yourself.
- Price is slightly cheaper than most of the other machines on our list.
- You have to clean the machine frequently to keep it working properly.
- Formula to water ratio can be off sometimes. It’s important to always check!
- Babies don’t always increase their formula intake in 2-ounce increments, which means sometimes formula will be wasted.
- Item weight: 4 pounds
- Package Dimensions: 18 x 11 x 11 inches
Best Baby Formula Maker Final Thoughts
Are you impressed by these miracle machines? Anything that makes taking care of your baby easier and more convenient is a win in my book! Baby formula makers have the potential to make those late nights more bearable and feeding time much less stressful. We’ve given you an in-depth look at the 5 baby formula makers that are on the market today. When we considered price, versatility, and ease of maintenance, the Baby Brezza was the clear winner. It has all the components that we thought were important, plus some extras, too! You’re the parent, though, and it’s up to you to decide which formula maker will suit your baby, your lifestyle, and your budget the best. Use our list as a guide, but always do you your own homework, too! We’d love to hear if this article clarified some questions you had about baby formula makers! Let us know your thoughts in the comments and thanks for reading!
Thank you for visiting MyTinyTraveller.com. If our article has helped you make a decision about the best travel crib for you, please click through to Amazon using one of our ‘Buy Now’ buttons. We are an Amazon Affiliate website and we keep our website running through the small commission we receive when you purchase your travel crib from Amazon after visiting our site. There is no extra expense for you – the price is the same as if you went to Amazon directly. If you’re looking for more than the best baby formula maker, please review our best stroller buyers guide.