Is a baby on the way? If so, you’re probably in the thick of gathering all the items you need before the little one’s arrival. It can be overwhelming, though, can’t it? There’s a lot to do, a lot to think about, and a lot to buy. Having a glider or rocking chair for soothing, singing to, or just loving on your new baby is nearly a staple. Life will be easier with one! There are a lot of options out there and you want to make the best choice. We’re here to come alongside you and give you some pointers about which glider or rocker will be just right for your nursery and your new little love. We’ll look at the different kinds and what features to look for. By the time you’re done, you’ll be ready to start shopping!
Mom on the run? Here are the bullet points…
- Glider and Ottoman Set: Windsor Glider and Ottoman
- Reclining Nursery Glider: Baby Relax Mikayla Swivel Gliding Recliner
- Budget Glider for the Nursery: Naomi Home Brisbane Glider and Ottoman
- Most Comfortable Nursery Glider: Stork Craft Tuscany Custom Glider and Ottoman with Lumbar Pillow
- Double Rocker for Nursery: Baby Relax Hadley Double Rocker
- Swivel Glider for Nursery: Babyletto Madison Swivel Glider
- Nursery Glider with Nursing Ottoman: Graco Parker Semi-Upholstered Glider with Nursing Ottoman
- Overall Glider for the Nursery: Stork Craft Hoop Glider and Ottoman Set
**Below are our more detailed reviews. Click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Having a way to soothe your new baby to sleep is a necessity. Especially if you’re an exhausted new parent and it’s the middle of the night. Or, what about your toddler who can’t get to sleep without a story in the rocking chair? Not only is a glider functional, but it can also be a big part of your nursery decor. It can stand out as a focal point or it can blend in, subtly adding texture and charm to space. Just as the name sounds, a glider provides a smooth gliding motion, as opposed to a rocking chair that moves on rockers. While most of the items on our list are gliders, we did throw in a rocker that was worth mentioning.
Let’s take a look at some of the considerations you need to make and the different options that are available to you.
Most of us have a budget to follow and that’s no different when it comes to shopping for baby. As you’re looking for a glider for your nursery, you’ll want to pay attention to the cost and what you’re getting for that price. Once you start looking, you’ll see that the prices vary greatly. It’s recommended that you get the very best glider that you can afford without busting your budget.
Comfortability is one of the most important factors to consider when shopping for a nursery glider. You’ll be spending plenty of time in your rocking chair and you’ll want it to be comfortable enough that you’re not getting a sore back or a stiff neck! Considering comfortability when buying online is tricky. You obviously can’t physically sit in each glider you’re interested in. There are, however, a couple things you can do. One is to check out your local stores that sell gliders and try out some that are similar to what you see online. It may not be exact, but you should be able to get a good idea of what you think. The other thing you can do is to read online reviews. Of course, you can always take our advice and choose the glider we picked as the most comfortable option!
Size and Space
Don’t make the mistake of falling in love with a glider and then finding out that there’s no way it’s going to fit in your space. Take precise measurements of the area in which you’re going to put the chair before you start shopping. It can even help to tape the area out on the nursery floor to get a good idea of what the dimensions will actually look like. Remember that a rocker will need room to rock! Make sure you plan for enough room between the glider and the wall. It’s also a good idea to think about the other furniture you’ll have in the room and near the chair. Take the time to map it all out so you don’t wind up with a room so full of furniture that you don’t have anywhere to put the baby!
At first, the idea of a glider seems pretty straightforward, right? Actually, there are a whole lot more options than you may be aware of. Let’s take a look at some of the features that you may want, or not want, your new glider to have.
Many of the gliders sold today – including the majority on our list – come with an ottoman that glides in the same way the chair does. There are some gliders and rockers that don’t come with an ottoman, but they can be bought separately. When deciding if you want one or not, think about your space constraints and comfortability. If space allows, you’ll be glad to have something to put your feet up on during those marathon feeding sessions.
This is a step above for the nursing mom. A nursing stool folds out from the ottoman, giving you a perfect platform for resting your feet while you’re feeding your little one. When it’s not in use, it folds right back up, out of the way. The disadvantage for some people is that it does make the ottoman a bit heavier and bulkier.
You may not even realize how handy a chair that swivels is until you’re holding a sleeping baby and you can’t reach something you need! It adds a whole new layer of convenience, which is why we picked the one we think is best for our list.
The ability to recline is an option that’s all about comfort. If you really like the idea of being able to totally recline, you may want to check out our pick for this category. Sometimes a fussy baby will only rest comfortably on your chest. Having the ability to recline can be a lifesaver and provide you with a couple extra hours of sleep. It’s also a good idea to think ahead. When the baby has outgrown the need for a rocker, you may want to use the chair in your living room or another area of the house. A recliner is always a great thing to have.
If you have more than one child and space in your nursery, consider a double rocker. They’re handy for snuggling up with two little ones for story time or they give you a little extra room in which to spread out during feedings or any other time baby needs some soothing from mom or dad.
We’ve given you some food for thought. Keep reading to check out our picks for the best gliders for your nursery. You’re sure to find something that will suit your needs!
Best Nursery Gliders on the Market in 2022
Best Glider and Ottoman Set:
This light gray and white Windsor glider and ottoman combo could work in a nursery of almost any color scheme. It’s roomy and comfy, with extra-padded armrests and handy storage pockets on each side. The metal bearings provide a smooth glide with no squeaking as you rock baby off to dreamland. The chair comes unassembled but is quick and easy to put together. The included gliding ottoman allows you to put your feet up as you smoothly rock.
- The colors are neutral.
- Storage pockets on each side hold all the little things you need to have nearby.
- The armrests are extra-padded.
- Assembles easily.
- Glides smoothly with no squeaking.
- The price is reasonable.
- It’s comfortable.
- The ottoman doesn’t have a removable cover.
- The cushions can tend to flatten a bit over time.
- It may not be sturdy enough for
- Item weight: 48 pounds
- Dimensions: 24.8 x 25.8 x 39.5 inches
Best Reclining Nursery Glider:
The Baby Relax Mikayla is a unique blend of glider and recliner with some swivel action thrown in. It has three different positions, including an all-the-way-reclined option, and the swivel feature allows you a full range of motion. The chair is not only comfortable but looks great, too. It has button details and white trim. It comes in three colors: Gray linen, gray microfiber, and mocha microfiber.
- The recline feature is truly unique for nursery rockers.
- It can swivel!
- The spring core foam-filled seat adds support and comfortability.
- You have three neutral choices for colors.
- It’s sturdy.
- May be too tall for shorter moms and dads.
- The footrest can be difficult to put down.
- Item weight: 103 pounds
- Dimensions: 37 x 30 x 41.8 inches
Best Budget Glider for the Nursery:
This Naomi Home Brisbane glider and ottoman set is neutral enough for the nursery and can be transitioned to the living room or another area of your home easily once baby has outgrown it. The seat is roomy and the chair has enough padding to keep you comfortable during those long nights. It glides smoothly without any distracting noises to keep the baby awake. The price is low for such a high-quality glider, making it a good purchase if you’re budget-conscious.
- It’s easy to put together.
- It’s cushy and comfy.
- The cushions tie on and can be removed for cleaning.
- Neutral colors fit with any theme or color scheme.
- The chair glides smoothly.
- It has storage pockets on each side.
- The armrest pads are prone to slipping.
- It’s a bit small for a taller/larger person.
- Item weight: 38 pounds
- Dimensions: 24.8 x 25.8 x 39.5 inches
Most Comfortable Nursery Glider:
This Stork Craft sleigh-designed glider comes in six different wood finishes and four fabric combinations, allowing you to get the exact look you want for your nursery. The fabric can be easily spot-cleaned and the construction is solid, with bearings that provide an ultra-smooth gliding motion. The factor that really pushes this glider over the top in comfortability is the included lumbar support pillow. A storage pocket gives you a handy place to keep your little one’s favorite bedtime stories.
- Free included pillow for lumbar support that matches your chosen chair fabric.
- Six wood finishes and four fabrics to choose from.
- Stylish enough to fit in with your decor after baby is grown.
- Fabric can be spot-cleaned.
- Smooth glide gently rocks baby to sleep.
- Easy to assemble.
- Comes with a one-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Would be difficult for a very tall/large person to sit comfortably.
- Padding can flatten over time.
- Item weight: 50.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 35 x 29 x 37.5 in
Best Double Rocker for Nursery:
This Baby Reax rocker is one and a half times as wide as a normal rocker, allowing you to stretch out during those fussy nights or long feeding sessions. You’d have plenty of space to rock your little one, plus big brother or sister. It’s the perfect set-up for bedtime stories! This chair is well-built with solid rocker feet that provide a smooth rocking motion and ensure a long life. The trim gives it an expensive look without the high price tag and the plush padding is comfortable enough for even the longest night of rocking baby. The neutral color will fit with any decor or nursery theme.
- It gives you one and half times as much room as a regular rocker.
- Especially nice for a home with two or more children.
- It has a contemporary look that fits with any theme or color scheme.
- Assembly is minimal and easy.
- It’s cushy and comfortable.
- The price is reasonable.
- The 100% polyester fabric can be easily spot cleaned.
- The maximum capacity for the rocker is 225 pounds.
- It doesn’t have as much of a rocking motion as a glider.
- Item weight: 69.8 pounds
- Dimensions: 41.2 x 34.8 x 37.2 inches
Best Swivel Glider for Nursery:
The Babyletto swivel glider is comfy, yet doesn’t take up too much space in the nursery. It can swivel a full 360 degrees, which would make it easy to grab anything you need within reach without having to get up and disturb baby. The chair is hand-upholstered in water- and stain-resistant microsuede. You’ll be able to use this chair long after baby has grown out of the rocking stage due to its quality construction and neutral color. It would be a great addition to any nursery theme or color scheme.
- Provides a smooth gliding motion.
- Microsuede fabric repels water and is stain-resistant.
- Ideal for a small nursery because it doesn’t take up much room.
- Neutral color fits with any theme or colors.
- Swivels 360 degrees.
- Upholstery doesn’t contain any chemical flame retardants.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Maximum weight capacity is up to 300 pounds.
- There’s no place to rest your head.
- Requires the use of a nursing pillow for feedings because there isn’t much arm support.
- Item weight: 63 pounds
- Dimensions: 29.8 x 29.8 x 33.5 inches
Best Nursery Glider with Nursing Ottoman:
The Graco Parker has quite a few features that would make it a great addition to any nursery. Unlike other gliders at this price point, the arms are fully upholstered, so you wouldn’t have to worry about arm pads that don’t stay put. The fabric is microfiber and easily spot-cleaned. This category is all about the ottoman, though. It features a pull-out nursing stool that would come in handy for feedings, especially the ones in the middle of the night! The stool can be folded back under the ottoman when it’s not needed. In addition, the chair and ottoman have ball bearings that encourage a smooth gliding motion for both. The color is neutral enough for any nursery or to fit with any colors.
- Has a pull-out nursing stool for your feet.
- Arms are fully upholstered.
- Microfiber cushions are thick and comfy.
- Fabric can be easily spot-cleaned.
- Neutral color fits with any theme.
- Backrest is high enough for taller moms and dads.
- Ball bearings in glider and ottoman make for a smooth rocking experience.
- Easy to assemble.
- Reasonably priced.
- May not be as comfortable for larger people.
- Item weight: 37.4 pounds
- Dimensions: 29.5 x 28 x 37.8 inches
Best Overall Glider for the Nursery:
This glider and ottoman combo have the all the necessary components to win the distinction of our choice for the best overall nursery glider. The polyester fabric is soft and easy to clean – a necessity for a nursery chair. The solid wood construction and metal ball bearings give the rocker and ottoman a smooth, effortless glide and you can expect the chair to last a long time. The plushly padded arms give you a perfect spot to rest while feeding baby and the storage pocket helps you to keep the necessities close. The colors are suitable for any nursery and can also be used in any other room of your home after baby has outgrown the need for a rocker. The chair is roomier than similar gliders and the price is a steal for the quality.
- Cushy padded seats and armrests are comfortable and roomy.
- Neutral colors are perfect for any nursery or other room of your home.
- Solid wood construction and ball bearings make for an easy, smooth rocking experience.
- Price is reasonable.
- Cushions can be spot-cleaned.
- Manufacturer offers a 1-year warranty.
- Quick and easy assembly.
- Storage pocket for necessities.
- Seat cushions can flatten a bit over time.
- Item weight: 43 pounds
- Dimensions: 24.8 x 25.8 x 39.5 inches
Best Nursery Glider and Chair Final Thoughts
We’ve given you a lot to think about and hopefully, you have a clearer idea of what you’re looking for and what you need. Remember to stick within your budget, go for comfort, and choose the features that are important to you. Make sure to measure your space before you shop. When in doubt, you can’t go wrong with our overall pick – the Stork Craft Hoop Glider and Ottoman Set. First, it’s a great value. Its cushy padding makes for a comfortable rocking experience and the fabric is easy to spot-clean. The glider and ottoman come in neutral tones to fit in with any nursery theme or color scheme and the metal ball bearings provide the smoothest glide. This glider’s solidly made and will hold up for a long time to come. We’d love to hear if this article was helpful for you in your search for the perfect glider for your nursery. Feel free to leave us a comment and tell us what you think!
Thank you for visiting MyTinyTraveller.com. If our article has helped you make a decision about the best travel crib for you, please click through to Amazon using one of our ‘Buy Now’ buttons. We are an Amazon Affiliate website and we keep our website running through the small commission we receive when you purchase your travel crib from Amazon after visiting our site. There is no extra expense for you – the price is the same as if you went to Amazon directly. If you’re looking for more than the best nursery glider and chair, please review our best stroller buyers guide.